• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driver's license number use?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LastInLine

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO

An employment application asks for my DL number and state. The job does not require any kind of driving. Because of this, I don't want to give them this info unless it is required for them to do background checks (other than driving records). So is it needed for employment verification, credit report, civil suits or judgements, arrest records, paid tax liens or criminal records?

Thanks.

mlane58

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO

An employment application asks for my DL number and state. The job does not require any kind of driving. Because of this, I don't want to give them this info unless it is required for them to do background checks (other than driving records). So is it needed for employment verification, credit report, civil suits or judgements, arrest records, paid tax liens or criminal records?

Thanks.
If the employer feels it is needed, then it is needed. You have two choices---either give it to them or look elsewhere for employment and stop being so paranoid.

FlyingRon

I would ask if they really need it for the position you are applying for. Unfortuantely when they tightened up the use of SSN's, the DL number has become another defacto identity standard especially for bank accounts. I am VERY VERY careful with who gets to see mine.

LastInLine

Thanks for the info Ron. Appreciate the logical advice, since it's much more helpful than the emotional (and useless) reply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">