• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Due Vacation Pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

craigwojo

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I was laid off back in February of 2004 and I'm getting the run around of when and if I'll be going back there. I worked there for 6+ years and after 5 years of employment, you are entilted to 120 hours of vacation time. Well being laid off in February, I never used any of this time and was wondering if I'm entitled to the money due to me. This amount is well over $2000.00 and would love and need the funds for my family and me. There is an employee handbook that states of how many years needed for a certain amount of vacation time entitled to the employee. But it also states that anything within this handbook and be change for any reason.

The employer of this company is a fast talking and controlling individual. He will try anything not to pay this amount. What I need (if possible) is a document stating that this money is legally owed to me. He will have to pay this amount without any hassle from him.

Please let me know of anything I can do to get this pay.

Thank you,
Craig W.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm sorry, but unless your company handbook specifically states that unused vacation time will be paid on termination, then your company is not legally obligated to pay it to you. Federal law does not address the issue of vacation pay at all, and under Michigan law they are only obligated to pay vacation time at termination if there is a company policy saying that they will. If the company handbook does not address the issue, or if it says that vacation time will NOT be paid on termination, then they don't have to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">