• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

On duty vs off duty breaks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

guppy1

What is the name of your state? California
Not sure if this is the right forum, but here's my question.

I am a county employee and work from 7:30 AM thru 4 PM. I get a 1/2 hr lunch and two 15 min. breaks. Are those breaks on or off duty? I've been combining them with my lunch and taking a 1 hr lunch. Should I have been working an extra 1/2 hr?

Thanks ahead of time for your help

Beth3

What do you mean are they "on or off duty"? I don't understand the distinction you are making.

I do believe that CA laws require mandatory rest periods mid-shift in the morning and afternoon. Therefore what your employer is allowing you to is prohibited, although there may be special rules since you work in the public sector.

Sockeye

Beth3 said:
What do you mean are they "on or off duty"?
I think this pertains to unpaid and paid time. The 30 monute meal break of off the clock, so technically she can leave. The paid breaks are on the clock, so the employer can have her stay upon the premises.

Guppy- I'm not sure if I understand your question completely, but if allowed to leave for one hour, then it's not required to be paid for the break time that you combined with your meal period.

guppy1

You successfully interpreted my oversight in information. From my understanding of your post, I could take a 1-hr lunch break on-site, but if I'm going home, I only have 1/2 hr. Thanks. For years my lunches were all on duty--paid and on site. I never thought about whether I can leave during the two-15 minute breaks.

Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">