• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Early Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lemuel0

massachusetts

I was hired in December 2003 for a one year term position with a major university. Six months later they extended my term to an additional two years (December 1, 2006). I received a letter confiming my extension and was guaranteed employment until December 1, 2006. Now I am being told that my position may end in September or October. What are my rights?
I am also pregnant can they do this? Please help!

Thanks!

Beth3

What are my rights? You have the right to show that letter to an attorney and get a legal opinion as to whether that constituted a contract binding you and the employer to a specific term of employment.

I am also pregnant can they do this? As long as they're not letting you go because you are pregnant, yes.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A lot also depends on why the position is ending. If, for example, the entire department is closing down, there'd be nothing for you to do anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">