• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

eavesdropping in a public situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kate brown

State is Texas

Someone who works for the same company I do, came with his brother into a restaurant where I was having lunch with a friend who used to be a customer of the company. He sat two tables away and eavesdropped on our conversation. It wasn't until we had finished eating that he let us know he was there. This was a personal, even though not entirely private, conversation with a personal friend on a weekend. There was loud music playing and other patrons talking all around us.

My friend and I cannot think of anything that was said that would be a problem, but this man is a very close friend of my supervisor who has a grudge against me anyway. My supervisor made it clear that the two of them discussed the "chance" meeting. (There is a certain amount of malice at work here.)

If what he says is not accurate and it becomes a matter of his word against mine, or even his and his brother's against mine and my friend ("he says, she says"), can the company use anything he says against me?

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

There is no "expectation of privacy" protection in a public place, or in public at all; e.g., overhearing a conversation while at a park, or walking on a sidewalk.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">