• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Education Agreements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

manonthemoon

NJ - I recently left a company where I signed an education agreement to repay for educational training received if I left within the first year. How enforceable are these written agreements? Could I use or tout the fact that I used the skills learned to complete the necessary project and there was nothing else to do within the first year that would have utilized these skills? Am I way off base here, out in left field? Is there anyway to negotiate the amount to a pro rated basis instead of the entire amount?

Okay if there is nothing there, what about the fact that this agreement also requires me to recoop all costs associated with training? Any recourse there?

Any advice! Much appreciated and thanks.

Beth3

"Could I use or tout the fact that I used the skills learned to complete the necessary project and there was nothing else to do within the first year that would have utilized these skills?" No. That's not relevant to the agreement. You also received a salary and were doing what you were hired and paid to do.

"Am I way off base here, out in left field?" Yes.

"Is there anyway to negotiate the amount to a pro rated basis instead of the entire amount?" Nothing is preventing you from asking if the employer is willing to do this.

You entered into an agreement. Your employer fulfilled their part of the bargain - now it's time for you to fulfill yours.

"Okay if there is nothing there, what about the fact that this agreement also requires me to recoop all costs associated with training?" What does "all costs associated" mean?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">