• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eligibility for Unemployment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

what722

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Colorado

I worked for a company for a few years and always received positive reviews and was never told by my supervisor that there was a problem with my work. Then one day I was told that we should "separate" because of my performance (I believe it was really a lack of work) and was given a contract to sign with a bunch of legal stuff basically saying that if I signed this contract and agreed not to sue then my records would reflect that I resigned. My questions are 1) if I sign it, how does that affect my chances of collecting unemployment? and 2) what good does it do me to sign it if my boss has already told all my co-workers that I was fired? I mean I would apply to jobs and say that I resigned and that was what my records in HR would reflect but if a future employer called an ex co-worker at my old company, they all already think that I've been fired. What is the point of having my records show a resignation when everyone I used to work with thinks I've been fired?

pattytx

Resignations obviously look better on the resume than being fired. If you choose to sign this, what will you be getting for your agreement not to pursue legal action? I would definitely run this by an attorney before you sign. We cannot interpret a document we have not read. You can get a 30-min consultation with an attorney for relatively cheap by going to your big city Bar Assoc Lawyer's Referral service. The last time I did this about 3 years ago the fee was only $35.

Re: unemployment, the state's first impulse will be to deny UI benefits. It is very hard to get benefits if you quit. You would have to prove that you were forced to resign and that any reasonable person would also have done so. Again, if you choose to sign the agreement, I would make sure that the monetary benefit is enough to take care of you should UI benefits be denied.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">