• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are Emails Considered Legally Binding?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TexasMom

Hi,

I'm in Texas. I need to know if an emailed Contract Termination is considered legally binding if:

-It is NOT digitally signed

-The recipient does not confirm receipt of the email when asked to do so

I am an independent contractor for a multi-level marketing company. I was the 8th distributor to start working for them almost 2 years ago. After a confrontation 2 months ago I sent an email "cancelling my distributorship" and asked for the owner of the company to confirm receipt of the email and she never did.

I did NOT send a signed copy of the resignation to her or fax one...I'm assuming that this email I sent is not legally binding and that I still have the right to order products and place myself back in the "Active Distributor" status with this company.

Am I correct?

Thank you,

TexasMom

ALawyer

Sorry, I can't answer under TX law, but the company can treat the matter as a termination in most other states.

T

TexasMom

If it is assumed to be legally binding I'm wondering what rights I have. I really feel that I was "pushed out" of this company for numerous reasons. I had, by far, the largest "downline" of anyone in the company and I'd guess that 75% of the Top Salespeople were in my downline. I'm very suspicious that 1-2 weeks after that email was sent they drastically changed the commission structure so that my income would have increased probably 3-4 fold.

Do I have any rights here or any legal ground to stand on or should I just forget about it and move on. Any suggestions?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">