• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employe termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

feverc

i was terminated from my employment two days ago.
i work in retail several of the employees where in volved in selling a lot of the merchandise at much more discounts.
i purchased merchandise that was discounted. i sold merchandise that was dicounted. i was questioned by store security about this they threatened me with arrest. i was detained for over two and a half hours. they made me write a statement about this , i was forced to tell about all others that recieve unauthorized discounts. in order to recope there loses they want me to pay for discounts i recieved and for the amount of discounts that i rang out for other employees. i felt coerced and under extreme pressure to do this, i was held against my wishes. into writing this statement. Is it legal for my employer to make me pay for purchases that other employees have paid for. What exactly are my rights in this situation. I can not pay this amount if taken to court can i file for bankruptcy in order to avoid paying these damages?
i would however pay for what i have recieved but i should not have to recope loses caused buy other co workers?

B

buddy2bear

If you were selling merchandize to "friends" at a discount without store authorization, then it is stealing. I do believe that depending on the $ involved, it can be considered a felony. Everyone else doing it, is no excuse, unless your supervisor lead you to believe this was normal practice, in which case you must have proof or witnesses that this was so.

I would suggest that you get yourself to a criminal lawyer asap.

If a court orders a payment/restitution, it is NOT dischargeable through bankruptcy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">