• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employed 8 days and fired confused on what to do....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ladyblack

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio

Salutations Everyone!
I am not sure what I can/should do, or if there is even anything I CAN do about my current situation. I am hoping someone on here can give me some guidance. So here is the story from beginning to end. My apologies in advance for the lengthy post.

I started a new job October 14th. I went in 2 days after receiving the phone call that I got the job and signed a bunch of papers, which stupidly I did not ask for copies of. But in my defense I didn't think I would ever need them. One of the papers I signed was a form explaining I was an "at will" employee, that I was on a 90 day probation period. After the 90 days were up I would have an evaluation and if my performance was up to par my employment would be continued on. I was also allowed to read over the employee handbook, which was about 150 pages long, and told to initial a paper once I read it. I will be honest, I skimmed over 85% of it. However, I did read the section on employee termination. In the handbook it states that if an employee isn't performing the way they are expected to, or if there are any issues about any employee, including new hires, there is a certain protocol the business will follow PRIOR to terminating their employment. The protocol involved steps the organization would take, meetings that would take place, formal write ups PRIOR to dismissing an employee. Unfortunately they did not furnish a copy to me. At the time, I thought it was really cool they took those steps before firing someone. I was also told by my supervisor what was expected from me on a daily basis (what to wear, clock in and out times, requesting time off, etc.). I was told by her that we had 7 minutes prior to our scheduled time and 7 minutes after our scheduled time to clock in and out. I was told I absolutely could NEVER clock in before 7:53, that I would get into trouble because that would give me overtime, and overtime is a huge "no no". So I asked "If you were me, what time would you clock in?" and she said "I suggest you clock in at 7:53 am, but as long as you clock in before 8:07 AM its fine." I was also informed we got an hour unpaid for lunch, and it worked like the morning and evening clock ins, with the 7 minute grace period.

So I officially started work on October 14th 2013. They had me come in at 9:00 am that morning instead of 8:00 AM. The day began with a tour of the entire facility, we went to lunch, and when we came back we took common sense tests the rest of the day. The next day, more common sense tests, lunch, more tests, then around 2:00PM we began to actually train for the jobs on the computer. Mind you, I aced all the tests with 100%, and I quickly mastered the computer training as well. I received a bunch of praise for how well I did. The 3rd day we trained for half the day on the computer again, which I did great at, the second half of the day we finally went to the office we would be working at and started learning the job by watching other employees. The 4th day we again watched the other employees and around 3:00 P.M. they allowed us to take on a few patients. The 5th day we spent up front, doing the actual job. By this time I pretty much knew what I was doing, asked very few questions, and made maybe 2 small, small mistakes. The other girl they hired for the same part time position made 2 HUGE mistakes, and a bunch of small ones. Each day that week, except for the very first day I worked, I clocked in at 7:55, 7:55, 7:57, and 7:56 a.m. I wasn't late my first day either, they hadn't set up our time cards yet, so my supervisor had to go into the system and clock us in. Mind you, I clocked out each day at 5:07, 5:07, 5:06, 5:05 and 5:07 pm.

So this past Monday I was on my way to work, stopped to get gas, and when I went to leave to go to work my truck would not start. I ended up having to wait 40 minutes for someone to come pick me up, go back to my home and pick up my other vehicle and go to work. I was completely mad, upset and scared to death I would get in trouble for being 45 minutes late to work. I tried calling my job 14 times from 7:30 a-7:45a to let them know I was stuck at a gas station, and no one answered. Finally at 8:05 am after calling 30 plus times I got my second in command boss on the line and updated her on my situation, apologized like crazy, and explained to her I had tried to contact her for over half an hour to let her know. She told me it was fine, not to speed, they wanted me there alive, and that when I got there she would give me the number to the back line where someone always answers. 5 minutes later my supervisor "Krissy" text me and asked if I was ok. I didn't know who it was at first, but as soon as I realized it was her I immediately called the number she texted from and explained everything, I also told her I had talked to Debbie, and she responded that Debbie had just came to update her on the situation. The whole way to work I fretted over what was going to happen to me, when I arrived I apologized a bunch to everyone, volunteered to stay late, or forfeit my lunch break. I was told it was fine, things happen that are out of our control sometimes, and to forget about it. I even offered to bring in a receipt when I got it fixed, for their records and to show them I wasn't lying or anything. I was again told not to worry about it. Well the whole day Monday was horrible. They had updated the system there, changing pretty much everything I had just learned. Both me and the other girl made mistakes, none big tho. So Tuesday, I made sure I clocked in as early as I was told I could. So I clocked in at 7:53 am. I clocked out at 5:06 PM. I pretty much had all the changes down pat, so Tuesday went without incident. Today I clocked in at 7:56 am, worked flawlessly until 11:32 am when my supervisor "Krissy" called up front and asked me to come in the back to another woman's office, we will call her "Jessica". So I immediately went, and when I sat down Jessica introduced herself, and I said glad to meet ya. She said "I want to talk to you because of what happened this past Monday." I immediately began apologizing. She cut me off, and said "You've been late a bunch and you've only been here 8 days." shocked I said, what are you talking about? I have been here BEFORE 8 AM everyday except this past Monday! She replied "Yes, but you are a new employee, and as such, you should be at least 10 minutes early everyday." I said "I don't understand, we aren't supposed to clock in until 7:53a right? I mean, if I clocked in any earlier I would get in trouble for having overtime correct?" She said "Well, all that is really for is determining your paycheck." So I said "So, what you are telling me is you want me to come to work 10 minutes earlier than I already am, and you don't want me to clock in until 7:53 am." she didn't answer, and instead went on to say that I didn't call on Monday to tell anyone I was going to be late until "Krissy" texted me. I immediately pulled out my cell phone, turn it on and tell her that's not true at all, that I could prove to her I tried many many times to call and could not get through until 8:05 am, and I spoke to Debbie. She just looked at me. So I said, "I understand I was late Monday, I didn't mean to be late, and I tried my absolute hardest to get to work asap, it was out of my control and if they needed to write me up I understood. Her reply was "We have made the decision to let you go at this time." I was floored! I have NEVER been fired, or even reprimanded at a job! I said "Are you serious? There isn't something we could try first? Anything at all?" Her reply was "No, you have a paycheck in Rich's office, we still owe you for a week, once you return the parking permit, uniforms and keys we gave you, you will get the remainder of your pay." She got my 4 day pay check, handed it to me, I grabbed my stuff and left. I called Dr. Reagan, who is over the whole pediatrics department and spoke with her. I asked her how my job performance was, and she said it was very good. She said the "girls upstairs" all really liked me, and after a lengthy discussion, she admitted she may have acted in haste and said she would review the matter and call me back this evening. I begged her to look at my time sheet herself, and to look at my cell phone records so she could see I tried like crazy to call the day my truck broke down. She had "Krissy" call me 2 hours ago to tell me her decision to fire me was final. There is NO way Dr. Reagan looked at my time card, or she would have seen I never clocked in late.

So, I guess my question now is, do I have a case? I am not a sue happy person, but I feel like I was totally screwed over, and since the employee handbook states they have to follow a certain protocol BEFORE they terminate an employee, even new hires, and didn't, wouldn't that be a breach of contract? What should my next steps be, if any? I am familiar with some law, I used to be a legal advocate, but my knowledge is more criminal, and domestic violence related. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Dr Reagan stated during the phone call that I misrepresented myself at the interviews because I showed up wearing make up, and when I came in to work the past 3 days I haven't been wearing any. I told her I was out of makeup, and broke, and as soon as I got paid I would buy more and wear it. I didn't know it was required that I wear makeup, and most of the other women there don't wear it either. Plus, if I wear make up everyday for awhile I break out extremely bad, and I have to take breaks from wearing it sometimes.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just to be clear, it's not because you signed a form that your employment is at-will. At-will is the default. In 49 out of 50 states, and in some situations INCLUDING THIS ONE in the 50th, your employment is at-will unless you have a legally binding contract, CBA or other binding document that says you're not.

99.5% of the time, an employee handbook is not a contract. You are free to show a copy to an OH attorney to see if yours falls into the remaining .5%, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it. The only case I'm seeing is one to collect unemployment.

ladyblack

I didn't know I could apply for unemployment because I was only there 8 days. I forgot to mention the clinic is owned and operated by a university, so I was a university employee. I assume it makes no difference tho. Thanks for the reply!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It makes no difference, no.

If your only employment was those 8 days, you will not qualify for unemployment. But if you worked previously, before this job, you might. In any case, it never hurts to file. The worst they can say is no, and in that case you're no worse off than if you never filed in the first place.

ladyblack

OK, I called a lawyer friend who told me to get a copy of my employee file/time card and to write a detailed letter of events starting with the first phone call I received from them up until the final phone call I had with the Dr. She said there are civil
service laws that protect certain college and university employees in Ohio. She asked me if I remember seeing any paperwork during the hiring process or signing anything that mentioned civil service on it. No, there was no mentioning of that. She wants me to bring her everything asap. Does my employer have to turn over the paperwork I ask for? How long should it take them to give it to me once I request it? Should I request the records in writing? I forgot to ask her and she's unavailable until this evening. She wants me to do it today.

swalsh411

The only records your employer is required to provide relate to rate of pay and the hours you worked. There is no law compelling them to give you copies of anything else. Since they likely know you want to sue them, I suspect their answer will be NO.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Here's an anecdotal story from a different state and a private employer.

My wife was working for a large HMO in the customer service area. Like you, she was on probation and she was highly praised for her work. She ended up with an acute medical problem and was hospitalized for emergency surgery, causing her to miss work. Mind you, she was hospitalized at the hospital in which she worked...literally a few floors away from her work station. She was terminated for missing the work as a probationary employee. Perfectly legal.

ladyblack

I understand when you are a new employee you should give 110%. (Well all employees should do this). I truly believe I did give 110%, and that the worst thing that should of happened in my case was a lecture and a write up. They didn't really give ME a chance. I don't understand why they couldn't have given me at least the 90 days to see if my tardiness was in fact a one time occurrence or the beginning of a bad habit. If the would have tried at all they would've seen I am not one of those people who comes in late and leaves early. I don't understand why my supervisor couldn't just talk to me. I think there needs to be better laws protecting employees. Employers have all the power and protection while the workers are powerless and there's not a damn thing we can do about it.

ladyblack

I am sorry your wife was treated that way. I guess maybe we should be glad they fired us. I don't know how your wife feels, but I certainly do not want to be a part of an organization who treats their employees literally like trash, just throw us away, like we don't matter. I hope your wife found a new, better job.

ladyblack

I decided to type up a letter explaining what exact paperwork I am wanting. I am leaving now to hand deliver it to the guy at human resources. I have to return uniforms/keys etc so they don't withhold my last check today anyways. I am sure its not going to matter, but I'll take whatever they give me(if anything) straight to lawyer. I don't really even WANT to sue them, even if I did have a case. Truthfully, I really liked the job, most of the people I worked with and dealing with the kids.

swalsh411

My instincts tells me you are somewhat of a drama queen and/or had an annoying/off-putting personality and they didn't really want you around. The euphuism for that is not being "a good fit".

ladyblack

LMAO! Drama queen...um no, not even close. If u actually met me u would understand why that's so amusing to me. That's the first time anyone has ever accused me of that! Hilarious! You know nothing about the kind of person I am. You know nothing about me except the few paragraphs I posted about a particular hardship I am experiencing in my life. To assume (which makes an ass out of you and me remember) I am a drama queen based on the tiny bit of info you have is not just ridiculous, well its pretty stupid. Not what I expect from someone who is supposed to be here to HELP other people. I gotta say I am not impressed.
The reality is I've never been fired or even wrote up at any job prior to this one. I get along with everyone, I am highly thought of and respected by people in my community. I am extremely laid back, and as far as I know have no true enemies. I don't gossip or carry*tales. I am blunt, but I always take a persons feelings into consideration too. I "fit in" just fine.
I respected your advice up until the last post. I assumed (which makes an ass out of you and me, remember ;)) you were an intelligent person who was on this forum to give correct advice to those in need of it. I guess I was wrong too.
BTW my ex employer gave me copies of every paper I signed and intitaled, the policy and procedures manual, employee handbook and my time card while I waited. I dropped it all off to my attorney friend. As soon as I hear from her, either way, I will update my post. Like I have already stated I do not expect anything.

Proserpina

LMAO! Drama queen...um no, not even close. If u actually met me u would understand why that's so amusing to me. That's the first time anyone has ever accused me of that! Hilarious! You know nothing about the kind of person I am. You know nothing about me except the few paragraphs I posted about a particular hardship I am experiencing in my life. To assume (which makes an ass out of you and me remember) I am a drama queen based on the tiny bit of info you have is not just ridiculous, well its pretty stupid. Not what I expect from someone who is supposed to be here to HELP other people. I gotta say I am not impressed.
The reality is I've never been fired or even wrote up at any job prior to this one. I get along with everyone, I am highly thought of and respected by people in my community. I am extremely laid back, and as far as I know have no true enemies. I don't gossip or carry*tales. I am blunt, but I always take a persons feelings into consideration too. I "fit in" just fine.
I respected your advice up until the last post. I assumed (which makes an ass out of you and me, remember ;)) you were an intelligent person who was on this forum to give correct advice to those in need of it. I guess I was wrong too.
BTW my ex employer gave me copies of every paper I signed and intitaled, the policy and procedures manual, employee handbook and my time card while I waited. I dropped it all off to my attorney friend. As soon as I hear from her, either way, I will update my post. Like I have already stated I do not expect anything.

No offense, but that "assume" thing is something most of us leave behind once we get out of high school.

;) :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">