• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employee or Contractor? How do I know?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Florida I own a beach house that I rent out most of the year. I pay someone to help me take care of it. She cleans between renters and does minor maintenance. I pay her a percent of the rent. I have on occasion paid her for other services, special cleaning assignments and to clean the house after I have used it. Always lump sum. I have always considered her a contractor not an employee, but now am not sure.
I took the IRS test and seemed to fail on some questions, she works on my premises, I do to some extent dictate her hours (the time between renters) and I supply some of her cleaning supplies. Could our relationship be interpreted as employer/employee? Do I need to take some steps to help insure that it is not?
We have no real written relationship; I have given her a list of the things we expect cleaned. I have never reported my payments to her to anyone and never paid any taxes or social security or anything. I do claim my payments to her as tax deductions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">