• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employee Discipline

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

alipol

Non profit organization. Employee previously responsible for private use booking of facility. Employee allowed lingerie/adult novelties party to occur. Youth drop in Centre during regular closed hours. No written facility use policy in place. President of volunteer board sat in for 1/2 hour & participated in light hearted approach to materials. Other board members took offence to subject matter. Decision of Board to place letter of reprimand in Employee's personell file. Citing "lack of common sense in allowing subject matter some would find objectionable in youth drop in facility setting. Employee upper management. In place 4 years, no previous disciplinary actions taken for any infractions of any policies.
1. What is generally accepted employee discipline procedure (for future reference)?
2. How should employee have been disciplined?
3. How long to letters of reprimand stay on employees' files?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

You need to metion your state. Also, these matters not only are dependent on state law, but custom in this particular industry.

Your best bet is contact attorneypages.com or your state bar association and ask for lawyer referral. Ask for an employment labor law attorney.

A

alipol

Thanks, anyway lawrat. I am in Canada, Alberta to be exact. I have since found some employee discipline policies on line in Canada which seem to consistently lean towards progressive discipline models. ie. verbal meeting, letter of reprimand (X2); one day suspension; one week or more suspension; termination. Sounds reasonable to me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">