• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employee files

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

santos

I would like to know the possible legal implications for the following situation:

A former employer has left my employee file out in the open(along with 18-20 other former employee files) and I have three witnesses to attest to that fact. The files include personal information such as:
full name, mothers maiden name, social security number, date of birth, drivers license number, and photo copies of both social security card and drivers license(which include my signature).

This is sensative and vital information and it should be confidential. With this information anyone can get credit cards in my name.

The three witnesses have informed me as well as the other 18-20 former employees that their personal information has been sitting out in the open for several months. They also said that any new employee has access to that information.
That is how they obtained my name and phone number and contacted me. Apparently they have compiled a list of the old employees and could potentially have all the information that is in those files.

What are my legal options? Can I(as well as the other 18-20 individuals) sue the company and the current manager in charge of those files?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">