• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employee Handbook

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xyzeon

What is the name of your state? Texas
In reference to employee handbook and polices and it is for a restaurant:
1) Things like Family and Medical Leave Act that gives 12 weeks of leave if certain conditions are met, is this required to be in the handbook if the employer is going to have a handbook?
2) What will an employer suffer if sections like this is specially exlucded from the handbook? What kind of exposures?
3) Can an restaurant employer ask the employees to repay the restuarnt for breaking the dishes (intentionally or unintentionally)? If it makes a different, how do we prove intentionally? I presume is the replacement cost of the dish, right? What if the restaurant also sells the dishes, can they charge the employee at the sales price?

Any advice will be deeply appreciated.

racer72

1 No.

2. The terms of the FMLA must be available to employees. At my place of employment, it is on all the employee bulletin boards. It depends on how the employer supplies such info to their employees.

3. This all would depend on the company policy. There may be some restrictions based on Texas employment laws, I am not going to spend a couple hours researching this. You can start by looking at the website below or direct your questions to the state department of labor.

http://www.twc.state.tx.us/customers/rpm/rpmsub1.html

xyzeon

Thanks!!!

Thanks. That was helpful...In reference to #3, i remember a case just recently having a judgement against employer and that's why i brought up. This should be a common issue across all restuarants, and not sure what the norm is....

mlane58

Refer to this link:
http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9&p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_tloc=&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=40&pt=20&ch=821&rl=28

It will inform you about what deductions are authorized under the Texas Payday law.

pattytx

And even if not a deduction from pay, requiring the employee to pay out-of-pocket is often just looked at as a subterfuge to get around the letter of the law. The intent of the law is the same.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">