• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employee late for work.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mommytoray

Massachusetts

Years ago I worked in HR and am SURE that there is a law (federal or state, I dont know) that said something along the lines of an employee cannot be penalized for being up to 10 (or maybe it was 15) minutes late for work... Please point me in the right direction if you have any insight. Thanks :eek:

Beth3

Sorry but you are dead wrong. There is no such federal law nor a law like that in any State. I think you may be confusing DOL guidelines on "rounding off" timekeeping practices for payroll purposes but that has absolutely nothing to do with an employee being held accountable by his or her employer for being at work on time.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I can confirm that no such law exists in Massachusetts (or under Federal law, for that matter). You may have worked for an employer who had such a policy but it is NOT the law. An employee can legally penalized under both state and Federal law for being ONE minute late.

mommytoray

Thanks guys... I'm beginning to think that it was just a company policy and not an actual 'law'... forgive this oldster :p Thanks!!!

Beth3

No problem. For some reason a lot of people think there is a law that employers are required to give a grace period for being tardy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">