• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employee paying for broken equiptment required by work?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

flyers1021

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania.
Recently my boss bought Nextel phone/radios. I am required to carry it when at work. My question is it legal to make me sign a paper that states if the phone gets lost stolen or broken in any way, he can deduct the price of the phone from my pay. I can not refuse the phone. He says it is required. Also it has gps and they also say that if i forget to turn on the gps i will be disaplined. can they do that?
Please help I do not want to get fired over this i have been there for 7 years and this is new ownership, so I don't know what to do. I cant afford to buy the company a phone if it breaks.
Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

flyers1021 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania.
Recently my boss bought Nextel phone/radios. I am required to carry it when at work. My question is it legal to make me sign a paper that states if the phone gets lost stolen or broken in any way, he can deduct the price of the phone from my pay. I can not refuse the phone. He says it is required. Also it has gps and they also say that if i forget to turn on the gps i will be disaplined. can they do that?
Please help I do not want to get fired over this i have been there for 7 years and this is new ownership, so I don't know what to do. I cant afford to buy the company a phone if it breaks.
Thanks

My response:

I want you to quote the EXACT verbiage from the agreement.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">