• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employee Privacy;supervisiors wanting to know what you do with your time off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tsturgis

What is the name of your state? Georgia My question is, can a supervisior ask for details as too why you are taking off work. Please find a little more information to follow. Currently, I work for a company that is now asking for a letter as to why you need time off. Along with this letter a leave slip is put in which ask the question Annual, sick, jury, float, birthday, etc leave. You check the block and sign it along with the dates you're requesting off, and the date turned in. I turned in my leave slip on 3-30-05 for six days off. I was asked verbally why do you need this time off, I explained I needed to go out of town. Then on 4-28-05, I get an e-mail asking to explain why I need to go out of town. I informed them I need to go out of town to handle personal business. Then a supervisior ask who are you going out with, what are you going to be doing out of town, etc. The next e-mail I wrote is I felt that I answered the question of why I needed to go out of town and felt they were invading my privacy. I stated the issue isn't what I am doing with my time off, it's if they have coverage or not. I also informed them in the Human Resources book as well as the updated/leave slip procedure doesn't asked for a letter of why I need time off. Then I went into detail that they have coverage, and what things would have been already taken care of and that it wasn't a problem in the past of other people to get off as well as when they were off I covered them. Next, email I received was a supervisior stating they didn't feel that it was invasion of privacy. They went on to say what I do with my time will help them make a better decision if I can have the time off. I called the Human Resources office and they stated they have a right to ask so they can justify giving time off to a person. Therefore, my second question is, why do supervisiors need to justify giving time off to their employees. When I worked for other companies, I put my leave form in and they either deined or approved it. It seems like this company is a country of dictators. In my opinion it seems that my personal life isn't anyones business and how can supervisior state well I don't think that's important enough for you to have off. Who are they to say what's important in your personal life and what isn't. This line of questioning can lead to so many discrimination acts. Sorry, I am so long winded, but wanted to give as much detail for a clear picture and to obtain adequate help. Thank you in advance for any help provided.

Beth3

My question is, can a supervisior ask for details as too why you are taking off work. Yes.

I also informed them in the Human Resources book as well as the updated/leave slip procedure doesn't asked for a letter of why I need time off. That doesn't matter.

Next, email I received was a supervisior stating they didn't feel that it was invasion of privacy. It's not.

They went on to say what I do with my time will help them make a better decision if I can have the time off. Quite true.

I called the Human Resources office and they stated they have a right to ask so they can justify giving time off to a person. Also true.

Therefore, my second question is, why do supervisiors need to justify giving time off to their employees. Perhaps they're short-staffed. Perhaps they have multiple requests from employees for the same time off. Perhaps the timing of your request for time off is when they're particularly busy. Regardless, it appears they need to know how compelling your need is so they can determine whether to approve it.

In my opinion it seems that my personal life isn't anyones business and how can supervisior state well I don't think that's important enough for you to have off. Your not in management so your opinion on this doesn't matter.

Who are they to say what's important in your personal life and what isn't. Because they're the boss.

This line of questioning can lead to so many discrimination acts. Discriminatory acts? I don't think so.

It's your choice. They don't have to grant you time off from work at all. If you don't want to explain the reason for your request, you don't have to. In which case your request will probably be denied. Or you can tell them why you are requesting the time off and hope they approve it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">