• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employee promisorry note

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

uijd

I am currently working for a company in Nebraska that required me to sign a contract that states if I leave the company within two years of signing, I will have to pay back a percentage of the training and licensing costs my employer paid in order to ready me to do my job. I have already served two thirds of the contract but the contract states I will have to pay three quarters of the principal amount if I break the contract at this time. The difference between the three quarters and one third of the principal amount is $3542. Would a court actually enforce this much of a penalty against me?

C

crobo

I am not a lawyer and this does not constitute as legal advice. I had to go through this recently and it all depends on how the contract is written and how the terms of the contract allow you to "work off" the amount. If it specifically states the parameters that you claim and you signed it then it's probably enforceable Unless it's completely unreasonable. Whether or not they would enforce it is another matter. Best to get a lawyer to review the contract if you have a copy of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">