• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employee Records of a Termination and Rehire

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Skrewku08

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

We have an employee who was terminated for discipline issues and policy violations a few years ago. However, we rehired the employee back two years ago. No one knows what to do with the previous employment files. Do we just get rid of the ones we are allowed to by the time frame and start a new folder? Do we have to keep all the files from the previous employment and the new employment together? Thanks.

Beth3

Whenever I rehired an employee, I combined the two files into one so a comprehensive history of the employee's employment with the company existed in one location. You're not required to do that but I think it's a good practice.

Skrewku08

I guess my question was a bit cryptic. Can we get rid of the files we are allowed by law even though we have rehired the employee. Such as...termination files and discipline files from his previous period of employment. They are past the time frame of needing to keep them. Thanks kindly in advance.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If he had been working for you the entire time, would you be discarding the files now?

If so, then go ahead. If not, then I would very strongly advise that you retain them.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

We have an employee who was terminated for discipline issues and policy violations a few years ago. However, we rehired the employee back two years ago. No one knows what to do with the previous employment files. Do we just get rid of the ones we are allowed to by the time frame and start a new folder? Do we have to keep all the files from the previous employment and the new employment together? Thanks.
**A: keep all files unless your company attorney advises you otherwise.
If he was an illegal alien at the time of the first hire, then get rid of the evidence right away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">