• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employee stealing money from employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blueridge

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law
NC

I work at a place where employee stole 9 company checks and wrote 5 of them to herself and stamped bosses name. She said she threw the other checks away. The total of the 5 checks she wrote herself total 800.00. I work where 4 people are employed. Boss caught her. He did not fire her or press charges. He wanted to deduct this from her pay and I called Labor Law and was told he cant do this. He needs to file charges but he doesnt want to. This employee has been with him for 4 years and until now nothing like this has every happened. (I would have fired her). If he doesnt fire her and she agrees to pay this back by deducting from check or does he need to write her full check and she pay him. ( I bet she does it again even though we hid checkbook because she said she couldnt help it she needed money for her bills.) If she does it again he said he would press charges. How long does he have to wait to press charges. I said you knowingly kept her after this that this might hurt him if he presses charges say a month from now.

blueridge

Should have stated that boss told me before he confronted her and he wanted me to be in room with her when he told her he discovered where she wrote herself checks. I am the office manager but no one at the office has access to his bank statement but him and he checks online daily. I wish I could as you put it "butt" out of situation that does not concern me but unfortunately it does (he asked me for advice on what to do). Boss wanted me to find out this info after I told him I didnt think he could legally hold her salary. I am asking this info because boss wanted to know legally what he could do about getting his money back without pressing charges. I DO NOT like to be involved and told this to boss since I like her and him it sucks that I know this information but I do. I work for a VERY forgiving boss. When he asked me what would you do I said fire her but since she does good job he doesnt want to do that he just wants his money back LEGALLY.

eerelations

Your boss is not legally required to fire this woman (although he may legally fire her if he wants to), nor is he legally required to call the police and press charges against her (although agai, he may do so if he wishes). If he wants his money back, he may deduct it from her pay, but only if she agrees to this. If she doesn't agree to it, he can then hope that she'll repay him. If she doesn't repay him, his only recourse will be to sue her in small claims court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">