• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employee Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

txguy72

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I apologize if this is the wrong forums, I'm not entirely sure where I should post this question.

This morning I had to terminate one of my employees. Everything was by the book and we actually went out of our way giving said employee multiple chances to rectify the situation. Anyhow, after I got done talking with him he was pretty upset and before leaving the property he pulled up in front of my truck and took a picture of it. I assume he wanted the license plate number.

Several questions...
Should I include this in the final report to go in his file?
Any idea if there are any precautions I can or should take?

I'm not overly worried but it does make me a bit uncomfortable, as I have a family. I did go ahead and stop by the tax office and get my plates changed on the way home but I don't think there's not much else I can do. I don't know a great deal about this person on a personal level but his actions and thing's I've been told from other employees lead me to believe I shouldn't completely blow the incident off.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

commentator

Commentator

Hey, I don't think you're being paranoid, really. I've known of HR managers who were shot, shot at, attacked physically, even one actually killed. The question is, did he make a big show of doing this, let lots of people see that he was doing it, make sure you saw it or were told about it? Then I'd be a little less worried. Maybe he's just mouthing off. Sometimes, though, people get the idea that you, because you were the voice of your company in this action, are the one who actually messed up his life.

I think changing the license plate was a good move. Maybe driving another vehicle for a few days? I would use a little extra caution in going to and from work, going out into the parking area, checking around on your street and looking as you come and go. If you have any, any reason to believe that this person is taking any further actions to follow you or approach you in any way, I would immediately involve your local law enforcement and begin a stalking complaint.

Perhaps not in his official folder, but I'd certainly document the circumstances of the termination, and any verbal threats he made for my own personal benefit. What's the saying, just be cause you're being paranoid doesn't mean people aren't really out to get you. There are mean people out there, some with access to people who have access to drivers license information.

Last edited:

txguy72

Thanks Guys,

No, he didn't make a show of it. I don't think he even knows I saw him do it. He just pulled up in front of my truck and took the pic with his camera phone then left. The only reason I brought that up was I did talk to another coworker who knows him and his family and said that he's vindictive.

Luckily I'm on vacation the next week so I shouldn't have to deal with it for a while, I hope.

I put all the appropriate paperwork in his file. His 4th formal reprimand was yesterday and included in that was that no other reprimands would be issued, but that he would be terminated if he violated policy again, which he did. 3 safety violations in a matter of an hour so I went ahead and let him go. All formal reprimands are signed by him so I'm covered in that regard. HR is also the witness when issuing these.

Thanks for the advice Commentator, really appreciate it.

JETX

Make a note of it in his file.... if only to document the fact. Most of the time, these end up being idle concerns and I wouldn't worry about any action... unless/until he does something.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">