• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employee Theft???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

areyoukiddingme

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire

I have a situation at work where I could lose my job. Employed by the State of New Hampshire. We receive vouchers for protective foot wear once a year in the amount of $100. This year I chose two pairs of boots, totaling ~$110, I paid for the balance of $10. One of the pairs of boots was not in stock, so I took the one pair and waited for the other to be delivered to my work place. A month later they sent me two pairs of boots, labeled in my name, instead of the one I was supposed to receive. I removed both pairs of boots from the office, and placed them in our storage area, still on state property, approx. 120 feet away.

Am I guilty of theft here? I had no intent to deprive the owner of their property.

Any help or advice would be great. Thanks

Last edited:

eerelations

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire

...I removed both pairs of boots from the office, and placed them in our storage area, still on state property, approx. 120 feet away.

Am I guilty of theft here? I had no intent to deprive the owner of their property.
It doesn't matter where you store the boots that don't belong to you. If you keep them - anywhere - you've stolen them.

And how can you say you have no intention of depriving the owners of the boots of their property? In law, the fact that you didn't immediately contact the boot owners and say "you sent me an extra pair by mistake, come and get 'em" means that you have every intent of depriving them of their property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">