• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employee vs independent contractor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mjames2497

What is the name of your state?ohio
I posted before with a problem....this time I have another. Iwas hired to do maintenance at a apartment complex as an independent contractor. It was my understanding that after 30 days I would receive a $1.00 raise and after 90 days another $1 raise and become an employee. Received a letter with my first paycheck stating I am an independent contractor. No mention of becoming an employee. Also it said that the 1st $1 pay raise was after 60 days and not 30. I did not agree to this. Also they have all the control...they are treating me as an employee. I am told what time to start, am given instructions on what to do for the day, they furnish all supplies. I don't think there is any way a maintenance person can be an IC for the simple fact he/she is an important part of the business. Any thoughts?

Beth3

I don't think there is any way a maintenance person can be an IC for the simple fact he/she is an important part of the business. Actually, it is possible but in your case it's not because of this: I am told what time to start, am given instructions on what to do for the day, they furnish all supplies.

You may contact either State's Department of Labor or the federal Department of Labor (because your employer is violating both state and federal laws) to discuss your situation and file a complaint.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">