• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer altered job offer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sc875

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I was offered a job in another state late this fall. We agreed on the hours, benefits and pay rate. I asked for a written contract, but was told that I would have to wait .

I then moved accross the country, signed a one year lease for a house, and started working in preparation for my new position while I waited for my professional license. I was creating a new position in the company and much preparation was needed before I could start working with clients. I have spent at least 120 hours in the office, without any pay. I have asked to be compensated for some of this time, but they have refused.

After I recieved my license and just a few days before I am to start working offically, the owner met with me to say that the had decided to reduce my work hours, hourly pay, and benefits. They are losing money as a result of two of their other employess, so they have decided to reduce my pay.

I had expected an almost full time position with benefits and now have only a part time position with no benefits. I am not in a potition to move again and am not sure how to proceed.

Also, is a verbal job offer with terms legally bidning. Can the owner suddenly change the terms after I have moved and just days before I am to start working?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Let's say you had worked there for 1 day and then the changes were made. What would you have done then?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In the absence of a legally binding contract that guarantees particular terms for a particular time frame, your employer may legally change the terms of your employment as often as business needs, or his own whims, require.

While there is such a thing as a verbal contract, your problem - and the burden of proof would be on you - is to prove not only that the agreement was contractual, but that the terms were for a specific time frame and could not be altered outside of that time frame.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">