• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer asking me to pay bond amount after resignation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Aditarya

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin
Hi,

I am on H1B visa. Recently I got a new job and hence I resigned from my job.
As per my offer letter 4 weeks notice is required. I am ready to serve the notice but my employer is saying that I need to serve minimum 4 weeks, pay bond amount and serve 6 months back in the country then only it will be a normal separation.
Else I wont be issued experience letter.
This is what is written in the offer letter:
"The at-will employment relationship between the Company and the Employee may be terminated by either party without any cause at any time by giving four weeks notice in advance."

What shall I do in this case?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In Wisconsin, an employer has no legal obligation to provide a service letter. They are not standard in the US; only a very few states require them and even in the few states that do, they are generally only required if the employee makes a written request. Wisconsin does not require them at all.

So if your employer wants four weeks notice in order to provide a service letter, I suggest you provide four weeks notice.

Aditarya

I am ready to provide four weeks notice but they are asking me to pay bond amount and go back to india and serve six months notice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">