• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer contract but conditions have changed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BobHorb

My company is in the computer consulting business in Pennsylvania and I am considering leaving to pursue another opportunity.

I have a contract with my employer of over 13 years which contains a clause that if I leave the company, I cannot take employment with any of the company clients within approx. 50 or 100 miles for one year.

At the time I signed this very informal contract, our client base was very small but now is quite large. For me to abide by this shuts me out of a significant part of the job market in my area. Since my employers' size and the market conditions have changed so significantly in the past 13 years, is it still a valid clause that I would be expected to adhere to if I were to take a position with one of the company clients which was NOT a client 13 years ago when I first signed on with my employer.

Any help anyone can offer would be appreciated, if aware of a precedent in this area.

crager34

this would be touchy

Due to the changes and your "right to work" possibly being hindered, your case would be much stronger than that of the companies. Consulting a lawyer would be beneficial, I am sure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">