• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employer decided not to pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

misterdanno

What is the name of your state? Kansas

My friend and I moved to missouri for a permanent job and worked for a single owner tile layer. We had worked for him for about a month, then he was late paying my friend and I five days. When we finally recieved our paychecks we decided we needed a job that would pay us steady. We told the employer that we were quitting and moving back to Kansas, he said he would just send us our last paychecks come the next payday. he never payed either one of us. I would call him every other day and ask him about, he would keep saying that he would send the next day. Now he has quit answering and returning calls. It has now been a couple of months since he should have payed. WHAT SHOULD I DO! Any help is greatly appreciated. thanks

S

Sinsaint26

File a complaint with the DOL Wage and Hour Division in Missouri. For good measure, call the owner and tell him what you did. That should get your paycheck in the mail.

M

misterdanno

make him pay more?

I looked around some and found if I file a claim with the department of labor it could take up to two years. I also found out that in some states you can sue the employer for up to three more weeks worth of work if they hadn't payed willingly. I was wondering if this might be possible in my case. I know the owner had done this to several employees before us. Thank you!

Beth3

And the cost of hiring a lawyer and pursuing a lawsuit is ??? At the very least, far more than the amount of money you are owed and will likely take even longer than filing a claim with the State.

Contact MO's DOL and file a complaint. It's free and it's their job.

S

Sinsaint26

The ultimate goal is get your paycheck. Call the guy and say "Look, I have waited long enough for my check. If you do not have my check to me within three business days, you leave me no choice but to file a complaint with the DOL." If the guy has any sense he will immediately get your check in the mail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">