• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employer demanding noncompete

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

doc_mahdi

What is the name of your state? ohio

my employer (an appraisal firm of approximately 15 employees) presented myself and two other of the young employees with non-compete agreements that are very extreme, stating that we will not be able to work in our feild in the entire state for 2 years after leaving the company. is it legal to present this type of agreement to only select employees? also, he says that if we refuse to sign the contract we will be fired... is that legal? i feel that the contract is very unreasonable, but he had his lawyer put into the contract that by signing it i agree it is reasonable... i don't like ultimatums, how should i proceed?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

doc_mahdi said:
What is the name of your state? ohio

my employer (an appraisal firm of approximately 15 employees) presented myself and two other of the young employees with non-compete agreements that are very extreme, stating that we will not be able to work in our feild in the entire state for 2 years after leaving the company. is it legal to present this type of agreement to only select employees? also, he says that if we refuse to sign the contract we will be fired... is that legal? i feel that the contract is very unreasonable, but he had his lawyer put into the contract that by signing it i agree it is reasonable... i don't like ultimatums, how should i proceed?

My response:

. . . and, when you had the ACTUAL noncompete agreement (that we can't see or review) reviewed by your own attorney, what did he/she tell you?

That's a hint, Doc.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">