• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employer didnt pay in my state and fed taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mandy5

What is the name of your state? Colorado My last years w-2 showed that there were no state or fed. taxes paid . All employees w-2s were this way. I signed a W-4 to have taxes withheld, I am not a contract employee. I was on salary and recieved no pay stubs, but my pay checks reflected these deductions. This is a small LLC company that is doing many things I do not understand, he has been in business for one and ahalf years. I am finding it hard to get answers. I quit, what is going on here? Is this a LLC trick, a new busness trick?

Beth3

There are plenty of reputable LLC's and new businesses out there. What you are experiencing has to do with your employer, not the "category" they are in.

What did you do when you filed your 1992 tax return? Have you contacted the IRS, DOL, and SSA to report that taxes were withheld by your employer but not sent to the appropriate state and federal agencies? Lastly, why have you waited until SEPTEMBER to address this? You received your 2002 W-2 in January.

M

mandy5

My employer had his attorney do my taxes & said he would pay any penilties, there were none. I did not see my W-2 until march when I went to do my taxes, w-2s were not ready until end of feb. He had an atty do the w-2s. Another employee was working with the labor board about backwages, and then I was. We wanted to see if we could get our money before going to the IRS, because we heard that they could just shut him down. This situation is very complicated, the employer is a minister from our church who started a small business, we thought we could trust him and the things he was doing. N ow he is lying to the labor board and has left us without much paperwork to prove anything.

Beth3

Mandy, all I can tell you is that if I were you, I'd take my 2002 tax return and records to a very reputable and experieanced tax accountant and have him or her look everything over right away.

It seems obvious you can't trust your former employer and I sure would be losing sleep if I'd let him/his attorney prepare my tax return. If something isn't right with your tax return, the IRS is going to come after YOU for back taxes, penalties, interest, etc. Better you find out now if something's wrong and file an amended return if need be, than wait for the IRS to come knocking on your door two or three years from now.

P.S. And I do mean a tax accountant, as in someone with a CPA with tax experience. Not your corner H&R Block or similar tax prep franchise.

M

mandy5

I do not have any money to pay for attys or tax people, I havent found a job yet and I am owed alot of backwages from last year, which I will never see. The DOL reviewed my concerns and told me to contact Dept of Revenue Criminal tax Sec. Which we are preparing to do, wont they be able to straigten this all out?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">