• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer Disapproves of Private Website

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kajam

Hello to all :)

I have a query .... my employer disapproves of my personal website. The site has no reference to my employer. It does not have my name, let alone who I work for. It was not done on company time, nor on company equipment.

I gave the web address to someone I work with, who looked at it at work. Through monitoring of internet activity, the site became known to my manager etc, and I was reprimanded. I took the site down after being asked to. My employer, however, wants to have this written into my personnel file as a "black mark".

Is this legal? There is nothing on my site that is obscene etc, it is a parody of a kind of software. My employer uses this software, however, and hence they find my site "offensive".

My convoluted query, therefore, is whether a personal site unconnected with my employer can be used in my personnel file as detrimental information.

I thank you for your thoughts on this!

ALawyer

Employers can put anything they want in a personnel file. But given the dfficulty in hiring and retaining qualified employees, this manager seems like a jerk. Not good for morale, but then again, doing something that pisses off your employer is not too swift either.

------------------
To retain a lawyer, I suggest you go to http://AttorneyPages.com which is endorsed by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America. This response is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. As you are not my client I have no obligation of any kind to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">