• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer forged signature

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ashleyriot

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

I was recently fired from my job for excessive tardiness. I had arrived 18 minutes late for work, and my new manager said it was "Okay," when I apologized. I had written my hours down incorrectly in my daily planner. Weeks later, I text messaged me about my lateness, and I reminded him of the circumstances. Without getting back to me, I was fired. I was denied Unemployment. I appealed, and my manager showed up at the hearing with a lawyer. I won, but one of the documents was an availability form, a legal contract, which didn't contain my handwriting, my real signature, nor my real availability. What do I do?

proud_parent

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

I was recently fired from my job for excessive tardiness. I had arrived 18 minutes late for work, and my new manager said it was "Okay," when I apologized. I had written my hours down incorrectly in my daily planner. Weeks later, I text messaged me about my lateness, and I reminded him of the circumstances. Without getting back to me, I was fired. I was denied Unemployment. I appealed, and my manager showed up at the hearing with a lawyer. I won, but one of the documents was an availability form, a legal contract, which didn't contain my handwriting, my real signature, nor my real availability. What do I do?
Just to be clear... your claim for unemployment compensation was granted on appeal, correct?

What is your objective?

ashleyriot

Just to be clear... your claim for unemployment compensation was granted on appeal, correct?

What is your objective?
My claim for unemployment was indeed granted. My objective is to figure out simply what I can do with a case of forged signature and possibly perjury. I definitely feel wronged by the company, due in part to the wrongful termination and having my signature and false information forged on a legal document that is used to represent my actions. My availability was even forged in the columns to read "Any" under "Available hours." I had turned in a revised version of this form not one month before and I was not available at any time. Having your signature forged and presented against you feel like a major violation. I have contacted the company about this, and feel that to offer me my job back would be a start, but also want to know what else I might be entitled to under the circumstances. I do not want to b a leech, but by the same token I feel legitimately wronged.

Thanks for the quick response and interest.

Proserpina

My claim for unemployment was indeed granted. My objective is to figure out simply what I can do with a case of forged signature and possibly perjury. I definitely feel wronged by the company, due in part to the wrongful termination and having my signature and false information forged on a legal document that is used to represent my actions.
This was not a wrongful termination.

My availability was even forged in the columns to read "Any" under "Available hours." I had turned in a revised version of this form not one month before and I was not available at any time. Having your signature forged and presented against you feel like a major violation. I have contacted the company about this, and feel that to offer me my job back would be a start, but also want to know what else I might be entitled to under the circumstances. I do not want to b a leech, but by the same token I feel legitimately wronged.

Thanks for the quick response and interest.

How have you been damaged?

The ONLY reason I'm not saying flat-out that you absolutely and without a doubt have no case against the company (for anything, really) is because this involves California. And sometimes CA does things a little..differently.

ashleyriot

This was not a wrongful termination.

The ONLY reason I'm not saying flat-out that you absolutely and without a doubt have no case against the company (for anything, really) is because this involves California. And sometimes CA does things a little..differently.
How do you know whether it was or wasn't a wrongful termination? UI found that it was, and reversed it's earlier decision. I haven't put in all of the details because there wasn't enough space on the form I filled out to submit this.

The basic question is not about the firing, but regarding a case of forgery.

Proserpina

How do you know whether it was or wasn't a wrongful termination? UI found that it was, and reversed it's earlier decision. I haven't put in all of the details because there wasn't enough space on the form I filled out to submit this.

The basic question is not about the firing, but regarding a case of forgery.

The bolded/highlighted part tells me exactly why ;)

Please read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrongful_dismissal

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A wrongful termination means one that violates the law. This was not a wrongful termination as defined by law. Prevailing in an unemployment claim does NOT mean that your termination was illegal - the vast majority of people collecting unemployment were legally fired.

You have no damages since you prevailed in the UI claim. What do you intend to sue for?

ashleyriot

I haven't really thought about suing. I understand now that it does not qualify in the legal sense as wrongful termination. There are a few other details about the firing that haven't been brought up because they constitute a pretty long story, but I'm not thinking they approach the legal definition of wrongful termination either. The idea more revolves around wondering where this document with someone else's version of my signature and handrwriting on it came from, and what it's presentation in court means. Suing was not really at the forefront of my mind, but my signature was forged once before, and I was told that it is a serious crime. This involves a legal contract that was also presented in court as evidence against me, and I have a copy of it. I'm really just wondering if anyone can advise on this since I think I rightly feel violated. The firing is not the point of the post.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
So what are you suggesting? In an ideal world, what answer would we give you that would make you feel vindicated?

I'm not being sarcastic. That is an honest question, and I am asking it for a reason.

ashleyriot

So what are you suggesting? In an ideal world, what answer would we give you that would make you feel vindicated?

I'm not being sarcastic. That is an honest question, and I am asking it for a reason.
What reason is that? I'm asking about a case of forgery, and you don't have to answer it if you don't want to.

I don't want an answer based on an ideal world or any owlrd other than our own. I asked a question and wanted an answer based on the knowledge of someone who knows more about the topic than I, but since I posted the question I have gotten either a series of answers regarding termination, which, as I've explained, is not the meat of my question, or I've gotten answers by people who seem to want to toy with posters for their own satisfaction. If you want to answer a relevant question with a respectful answer, then that's great, but if you want to feel superior, then go to another thread please.

Proserpina

What do you want/expect to happen? Do you want your job back? Do you want the document removed/shredded?

Would doing so change anything?

ashleyriot

What do you want/expect to happen? Do you want your job back? Do you want the document removed/shredded?

Would doing so change anything?
I'm asking questions and not getting answers. I don't know if I've been "damaged" in a legal sense. In a way, that is what I'm trying to find out. I never said I wanted to sue. I never said I was "damaged." It feels disrespectful, and I also know that forgery can be fairly serious. I'm asking if this is considered a crime, and if so, I wonder how serious it is. I've given all the contrext, but I feel that I'm also getting a lot of attitude. If someone can read the synopsis I've given up about 2 pages and promise not to assume what I feel and what I want out of it, then that would be great. Have people taken legal action against companies for this? If so, why? Is there any precedent to cases regarding employees using the legal system in cases in which they feel misrepresented? Does the use of a forged document in a case like this constitute perjury? No need for flippant answers, and if you want to give one, then just let someone else try an anwer, please.

Sockeye

I'm asking questions and not getting answers. I don't know if I've been "damaged" in a legal sense. In a way, that is what I'm trying to find out. I never said I wanted to sue. I never said I was "damaged." It feels disrespectful, and I also know that forgery can be fairly serious. I'm asking if this is considered a crime, and if so, I wonder how serious it is. I've given all the contrext, but I feel that I'm also getting a lot of attitude. If someone can read the synopsis I've given up about 2 pages and promise not to assume what I feel and what I want out of it, then that would be great. Have people taken legal action against companies for this? If so, why? Is there any precedent to cases regarding employees using the legal system in cases in which they feel misrepresented? Does the use of a forged document in a case like this constitute perjury? No need for flippant answers, and if you want to give one, then just let someone else try an anwer, please.
From an employment law perspective, you have no case since you have no "damage". You can run this pass the civil law people, but chances are not much to collect from there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">