• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer harrassment on bond leaving him.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

apache2410

What is the name of your state? VA

I am foreign worker currently on H1B. While i was in my home country, my prospective employer asked me to sign a bond which is valid in that country says that i have to stay with him for 2 yrs or else i will need to given him xxx amount in local currency as penalty for early termination. I agreed to it as i thought if i have to leave and i work in US, that amount is something that i can probably afford to give.

Then when i joined the US office, they made me sign another contract, this time enforcable in Virginia and asks for $20000 now which is about 10 times more than the first contract in my home country.

Is this legal?

Now i have accepted another job and i am stuck with following situation:

1. Employer says i an't leave before the end of the contract. Is this legal?

2. Employer says there will be "legal obligations" if i leave. Not sure what that means.

3. They say i will need to take a "No objection certificate" from their legal department, which legal department is not willing to give me.

I wish to know following:

1. Is it illegal for me if i want to leave by giving 2 weeks notice?
2. Do i need the No objection certificate or can the employer force me to take it by first asking me for compensation before they give it?
3. I am working in the client's work site and if i just walk away at the end of 2 weeks notice, is there anything illegal i do?

Regarding H1b regulations i know for sure that Employer can not ask for penalty, but can ask for "liquidated expenses" for leaving early.

I am here with my family and with no money to hire a lawyer. Please help me with your advise.

Thanks

Apache.

Beth3

You need to show the contracts you signed to a local attorney. No one here can possibly advise you on contracts they haven't read. If you can't afford an attorney, contact the Legal Aid Society in your area. They provide legal services on a sliding fee or pro bono basis.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">