• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer Holding paychecks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AnthonyB

Can anyone tell me the law about an Employer holding paychecks due to business being slow? He has held back 2 weeks due to a slow week or two and threats us that he wont pay us unless we do well. Can he be brought to court and what type of law is he breaking and also what can he be sued for in the amount of monetary damages.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

You need to give us the state in which this is happening.

But here is a general answer pulled from the employment law section of freeadvice.com:

I WORK PART-TIME FOR A LARGE, NATIONALLY RECOGNIZED COMPANY AND THEY STIFFED ME ON MY PAYCHECK: THE HOURS I WORKED WERE CUT IN HALF. MY BOSS TOLD ME THEY DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO PAY ME, BUT WOULD MAKE IT UP THE NEXT WEEK. WHAT ARE MY RIGHTS?
Your boss may only mean he doesn't have enough money in his store or department's budget to pay you this week and he'll pay you next. But it is a crime not to pay workers. So if you are not paid the following week (double-check your pay stub and hours), report the company to the Department of Labor in your state.

A

AnthonyB

Sorry that I failed to mention I am employed in the state of Florida.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">