• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employer lied about reason for termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pamisme

I received a letter from my employer stating I was being terminated due to "budgetary and financial" considerations with 30 days notice given. I've had a permanent part-time (salaried) position with this non-profit organization for the past 15 years. I work from an office in my home basically unsupervised and have had no recent formal reviews, nor any complaints, on my job performance.

Two days before my termination date, I heard that they offered a "contract" for the next 8 months to a man, considerably younger than I am, with no previous experience in the field, and at a higher rate of pay than I received, to do my job. They have also offered him the same benefits as I was entitled to as a permanent part-time employee (retirement plan, 75% of health insurance premium paid). Their main office is located in WV and I live in WI, as does the man they've offered the job to.

Would I have any grounds ie age, sex, pay discrimination to make life miserable for the good ole boys club? :--)

Thanks

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Possibly. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have a lawyer look at it.

Impossible to say for sure without knowing ALL the facts, but your case looks good on the face of it.

L

loku

IF you could prove that you were terminated because of your age (if you are over 40) or sex, you would have a case. Otherwise, there is no case because unless you had an employment contract, you could be fired at any time for any legal reason, or for no reason at all, as long as it was not for reasons of age, sex, national origin, color, or disability.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">