• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer lied to unemployment office

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

buckeyejess

What is the name of your state? Florida
My best friend was fired earlier this month from her bartending job. She worked there for two years. She babysat for free for the childrent of the owners of the bar, but recently told them that she could not babysit anymore. They soon fired her. I see that is probably not illegal in any way, just bad ethics. Well, my friend filed for unemployment two days after she was fired. Yesterday she got a phone call from someone from the unemployment office saying that the bar owner said that my friend was stealing and getting drunk at work and that is why she was fired. This is entirely not true. What recourse can my friend take for this malicious lies being said about her? Also, nothing was put in writing about her firing and she was never given any written reprimands during her tenure of employment. Thanks for your advice and guidance.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This is VERY, VERY important; has your friend been DENIED benefits or has she only been advised that the employer is CONTESTING benefits. There is a difference and it is VERY important that we know which before we can answer.

buckeyejess

The owner is contesting the benefits. The unemployment office told my friend that they are going to "investigate" further into the matter. Thanks again for any and all help you can give here.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If the stage where we are now is that the employer is contesting benefits, that's much better for your friend. The burden of proof is going to be on the employer to prove that she should not receive benefits - it is not on her to prove that she should. There will most likely be a hearing where she will have to attend and the employer will have the opportunity to "prove" his case. She will have the opportunity to ask the employer questions and to make a statement as to her side of the story.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">