• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer making former employee look bad at new company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

primetime1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law) PA
A former co-worker of mine recently asked my opinion of a situation she's in. I thought I'd share and ask your opinion's.

She joined company "A" last year and was with said company for a little over a year.
Company "B" is a supplier to company "A".
She was offered a job from company "B"
After a year and some change, she put in her 2 weeks notice with company "A", and then resigned.
She had previous experience working with products from company "B", long before joining company "A"
Company "A" used a job recruiting firm to find and hire her. The firm charged company "A" a $15,000 finders fee, which would not be reimbursed if she worked for at least 6 months.
She has made significant contributions to company "A", but joined company "B" as she felt it was a better fit.

Because she joined company "B" after working for only 1 year, company "A" sent her an invoice in the amount of $7500 requesting that she and/or her new employer company "B" pay this amount, as it is 1/2 the recruitment fee. Apparently company "A" feels that company "B", stole their employee and that it is bad business practice.

No agreement was ever presented to her of any kind in which she signed stating that she would be held liable for any recruitment fee of any kind.

She has not yet informed her new employer of the notice, as her first day is on Monday. I advised her to tell her new employer, as her former employer is going to contact them none the less. Unfortunate that she has to present them with an invoice on her first day. Company "A" is clearly trying to make her look bad.

I think the whole thing is ridiculous. Unless company "A" tries to press the issue, she doesn't need to get an attorney involved, correct? Does company "A" have any ground to stand on other than maybe trying to get company "B" to pay the fee so that company "B" can still be a supplier?

What would you do if you were in her situation? Does she have any legal recourse in the matter given the fact that the invoice of $7500 has her name directly on it?

Last edited:

Banned_Princess

Tell her, to tell them, to sue her for it.

Until then I would ignore the "invoice" but I also would tell company B about it, just so they are aware of what the situation is.

primetime1

Thanks, I will let her know. If by chance they sue her for it and lose, costing her vacation time and money to retain a lawyer, can she do anything about it or must she just go on her way and eat the costs?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">