• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

livesseven

What is the name of your state? S.C.

A co-worker's telephone rang at her work station and another co-worker answered her phone. It was a bill collector wanting to speak to her. We each have phones with our own extensions. We also have individual voice mails. The co-worker transfered the call to a supervisor's voice mail and the bill collector left a message. The voice mail on that phone is a standard message without a name identifying who's phone it is. The supervisor then retrieved the message and instead of giving the message to the employee, she took the message to our CEO. The CEO listened to the message and called the bill collector back. The CEO placed the bill collector on hold, took my co-worker into the office and made her speak to the bill collector in front of her. My co-worker was embarrassed and humiliated all for being one payment behind. No adverse repercussions have happened as of yet but I feel that it could be coming. The supervisor and CEO are closely watching this individual and are constantly talking to her about every little thing she does. She is literally walking on egg shells at work and so are some of the rest of us. If other employees are caught talking with her then the CEO starts to act different around us. It seems to me they are making things hard on her and would like for her to quit. I know that S.C. is an "at will" state which means if my CEO wanted to she could fire any of us without cause.

I however, did tell her that she should call the bill collector back from home and give them another phone number to call instead of her work number. I have also told her that the Federal Trade Commission has specific rules as to when or how a bill collector can call someone.

Was my CEO right to listen to her message? Was the CEO right to take her off of her job and humiliate her? Is there anything my co-worker can do to protect herself?

Last edited:

eerelations

While the supervisor and CEO have been behaving somwhat unprofessionally, they can still legally fire your coworker over this. Unfortunately.

scorp11764

It just amazes me how people can behave so unethical, immoral, unprofessional. But unfortunately, it is not illegal to be a horses rearend!!! If it were, and God I wish it was, half, no 3/4's of corporate America would be in jail!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">