• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer refuses to pay final check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

84mustanggt

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I recently left my job without giving 2 weeks notice. My employer is now refusing to pay me for my last pay period. He indicates that because I didn't give a notice, it's "punitive damages" because he now needs to hire someone to do the work he felt I should do. I never signed any employment contracts and always felt 2 weeks was a courtesy - not a requirement....

I was an innkeeper and he was requiring me to completely build a bathroom - framing, electrical, plumbing, completely finished - in 4 days. I was barely making above minimum wage and now he will have to hire a fully licensed contractor to do the work --- which will cost him LOTS more than I would have received for my weeks salary.

Does he have the right to withhold my salary from two weeks ago? Sunday started my new pay period and I quit on Tuesday. I was supposed to get paid today but he's refusing to hand over my check. What rights do I have to demand that money? Can I put a lien against his business?

R

Ramoth

Why go through the hassle? Call the State DOL and file a claim. They'll get your money for you, and maybe slap the guy around a bit, too.

M

montecarlolsus

I dont think he can do that. You have the right to terminate the relationship without prior cause. The 2 week thing is more of a courtesy thing but techniclly you dont have to do it and he has to pay you for any work you have done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">