• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer refuses to pay me.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wednesday30218

I'm in California. My employer recently fired me because he believes (falsely) that I was stealing stock and was doing something with his personal bank account-which I had no access to- (though he can't tell me exactly what he thinks I stole, or what was done to his bank account, and the police don't think it was me).

I hadn't been paid in 3 months, because it's a very small company and I was trying to let them build up more of a financial cusion before pressing the issue.

As soon as I actually got a paycheck, he put a stop payment on it, justifying it by saying that the quality of my work hadn't been worth paying. So not only was I never paid for any work I did, I was stuck with the stop payment fees charged by my bank and all the charges for checks that resultingly bounced. It's only about $600 total, but still...

Should I sue, or could this be settled out of court? He has all the documentation and I'm afraid it might come down to my word against his if he decides to destroy my paper trail.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">