• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer refuses to release me even though I have fulfilled my contract.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Indiana
I have fulfilled my contract with my employer, and now I wish to move to a different city. I planned on searching for a job with another franchise of the same company, but my employer refuses to sign a release letter that would allow me to work at another franchise. Without this letter of release, I cannot apply to any other franchise within the company. Is it legal for my employer to withhold this from me?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

I have fulfilled my contract with my employer, and now I wish to move to a different city. I planned on searching for a job with another franchise of the same company, but my employer refuses to sign a release letter that would allow me to work at another franchise. Without this letter of release, I cannot apply to any other franchise within the company. Is it legal for my employer to withhold this from me?
**A: please follow posting instructions.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What state are you in?

Barring a contract clause to the contrary, you cannot force the employer to write you any sort of letter (in the US)

swalsh411

You are free to leave the job at any time and look for another one. Another store can choose to not hire you for virtually any reason, including not having a "release letter" from your old store. This is a company policy issue not a legal one.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
When you say you have fulfilled your contract, are you talking about an actual contract? What most people refer to as contracts isn't one. Does the document you have called a contract state a specific term of employment, i.e. from xx-xx-2012 to xx-xx-2013 or whatever?

Or, alternately does it state a specific project, i.e. for the duration of the job sponsored by ABC company?

Is there a non compete clause in the contract? What is the reason you need a release?
I don't believe there is a non compete clause, although I'm not entirely sure what that means. I need a release because of company policy. I am a manager, and the owner of my store paid for my training and certification through the corporation. Because of this, it is company policy that managers need to be "released" by the store owner before another store owner can hire or even interview me. I am frustrated because I had a one year contract, which has expired, and I should be free to leave.

When you say you have fulfilled your contract, are you talking about an actual contract? What most people refer to as contracts isn't one. Does the document you have called a contract state a specific term of employment, i.e. from xx-xx-2012 to xx-xx-2013 or whatever?

Or, alternately does it state a specific project, i.e. for the duration of the job sponsored by ABC company?
It states a specific term of employment, which ended a few months ago. (I would rather not say the date in case my employer finds this thread.)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Then I'm afraid I don't see the problem. The contract itself indicates that you are no longer employed. But there is no law you can invoke that will force the employer to write you a letter saying what your contract already says. If another manager internally will not interview or hire you because of that, then that's the ball game. There is also no law that grants you the guaranteed right to rehire with another franchise or division - or even to interview with them.

Then I'm afraid I don't see the problem. The contract itself indicates that you are no longer employed. But there is no law you can invoke that will force the employer to write you a letter saying what your contract already says. If another manager internally will not interview or hire you because of that, then that's the ball game. There is also no law that grants you the guaranteed right to rehire with another franchise or division - or even to interview with them.
Okay, thank you for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">