• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer Refuses to Supply W-2

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

juliotango

Hello,

I am writing with a question about a former employer that refuses to supply me with a W-2 form. I worked for the organization for eight months in 2001. At the end of the year they sent me a W-2 form as required by law.

Now I am in the process of petitioning someone to come to the United States. As part of the application process I need copies of old W-2 forms. I have written on numerous occasions asking my former employer to send me a copy of the 2001 W-2 form. The person who I am told is responsible for sending them out is the human resources manager at the organization where I used to work. She and I are not on good terms personally (though, thankfully, I left the organization on good terms, giving an advance notice) so her way of getting revenge on me is by refusing to reply to my e-mail requests for a copy of an old W-2 form.

My question is this, is a former employer legally required to supply you with an old W-2 form whenever you request it? I certainly hope so, so that I can let her know that she HAS to send it.

Any help is appreciated.

John

JETX

"is a former employer legally required to supply you with an old W-2 form whenever you request it?"
*** No. There is no statutory obligation for an employer to provide other than the one required by the IRS on or before Feb 1.

abezon

You can get a copy from the IRS. Ask them to print out your income reports for 2001. This will list all entries on your W-2s & 1099s & other tax reporting forms.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">