• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer releasing personal information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Arizona
:mad: I do home health care for the ill and disabled. I was arrested for extreme DUI 6/24/07. Two days after my arrest, my company manager was on the phone with one of the clients I provide homecare for. He got angry with my client and told my client that I was arrested for DUI and that he was going to fire me. When I showed up to my clients home that afternoon, she told me about her conversation with my manager. I have not been convicted and at the time of his releasing the information, my license was still valid. My question is, can he release that sort of information to my clients, especially without a conviction? Did he violate my employee privacy laws regarding criminal/health information? If so, what do I do? I dont have the money to hire an attorney, especially since I am challenging the DUI. Any help or advice would be a God send. Thank You!!:(

mlane58

What is the name of your state? Arizona
:mad: I do home health care for the ill and disabled. I was arrested for extreme DUI 6/24/07. Two days after my arrest, my company manager was on the phone with one of the clients I provide homecare for. He got angry with my client and told my client that I was arrested for DUI and that he was going to fire me. When I showed up to my clients home that afternoon, she told me about her conversation with my manager. I have not been convicted and at the time of his releasing the information, my license was still valid. My question is, can he release that sort of information to my clients, especially without a conviction? Did he violate my employee privacy laws regarding criminal/health information? If so, what do I do? I dont have the money to hire an attorney, especially since I am challenging the DUI. Any help or advice would be a God send. Thank You!!:(
First of all there isn't an expectaion of privacy in the workplace and second, your arrest and/or conviction would be public record.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In the very large majority of cases, the only information that an employer is required by law to keep confidential is any medical information that might be in your file.

As mlane says, your arrest is a matter of public record. No one has any obligation to keep public records private.

:mad
Okay, despite the fact that it is public record, can he fire me for something that I have not been convicted of?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
He can fire you for any reason not specifically prohibited by law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">