• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer requested resignation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Suzi Worker

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD
My employer has requested my resignation. I have what I understand is the usual separate letter and if I resign, rather than be fired, I will receive 7 wks pay (for 8 yrs of work).

If I resign as they are requesting, and am unable to find work, can I file for unemployment? The way I read MD law I can't if I quit - but it certainly isn't voluntary.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD
My employer has requested my resignation. I have what I understand is the usual separate letter and if I resign, rather than be fired, I will receive 7 wks pay (for 8 yrs of work).

If I resign as they are requesting, and am unable to find work, can I file for unemployment? The way I read MD law I can't if I quit - but it certainly isn't voluntary.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Ask them to furnish their request for your resignation in writing.

Also, is 7 weeks of pay more than you're receive in UI?

Suzi Worker

MD unemployment is 26 weeks, with extensions I think another 30 weeks. Depending on how long I might be unemployed, the 7 wks pay is less than I would receive on ui. THe max unemployment is a little under half my salary. I think if I am unemployed for more than 14 weeks, the ui would pay more over time.

I don't know enough about the job market to know if I can find something in 14 wks. MD's unemployment is over 7%.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I have never heard of a state that increases your unemployment benefit if you remain unemployed for x number of weeks. That certainly doesn't happen in my state.

pattytx

Ask them to furnish their request for your resignation in writing.
That's my best advice, too. Most states consider "resign or be fired" to be the same as "fired". But that's a he-said/she-said unless you have this request in writing.

cbg, I think what the OP was trying to say is that if she quits and doesn't get UI, if she finds a job in about 14 weeks, the severance pay would come close to what she would get in UI, so no harm, no foul. If she doesn't find a job within weeks, then the severance pay would not be worth it, because it would be less than UI starting one week from getting fired and extending into week 15.

Suzi Worker

I have never heard of a state that increases your unemployment benefit if you remain unemployed for x number of weeks. That certainly doesn't happen in my state.
I'm sorry, I guess I worded that poorly. I meant what Pattytx said.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">