• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer requesting criminal court documents. Legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sc101

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

I have an issue that has come up recently regarding my job. I have worked for this company for over a year and just now they found out about my prior criminal record. When I applied for job there were no questions about my criminal history on application or verbally. They ran background check and everything supposedly came back okay. Well now they claim they want to keep me on but are asking for copies of my court documents. Is this legal? Here is Californias "law" - "California Penal Code section 11142 prohibits you from giving your copy of your criminal record to an unauthorized third party. In addition, California Penal Code section 11125 prohibits an individual or agency from requiring you to provide him/her or the agency with a copy of your criminal record or proof that a record does or does not exist. Violation of either of these sections is a misdemeanor offense." Does South Carolina have a similiar law? Thanks for any help!

swalsh411

They already know about it so what do you gain by not providing them what they are asking for?

I am not aware of any law which would make it illegal for them to terminate you for refusing to provide what they are asking. If you are fired, file for unemployment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">