• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer is requiring my cell phone #

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jrcarne

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I work for the state of Georgia. This morning my employer asked me to give him my personal cell phone number for him or others at work to call me when I'm away from the office. I refused to give him the number and he was extremely displeased to say the least. Am I wrong in assuming that if my employer wants me to have a cell phone for business than they must provide one for me? My daughter bought me the phone and she pays the cell phone bill just so that she would feel better about me driving on the interstate every day going back and forth to work.

Beth3

Am I wrong in assuming that if my employer wants me to have a cell phone for business than they must provide one for me? Yes, you are wrong. Your employer has no obligation to provide a cell phone for you just because they want the phone number in case they need to contact you.

If your phone plan is such that you would get charged for thse calls, then the only question is whether your employer is willing to reimburse you for that expense (they don't have to do that either.) Refusing to give your employer your cell phone number is unreasonable and no different than refusing to give them your home phone number if they need to get hold of you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">