• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer Took Back Offer Letter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Clean Sanchez

What is the name of your state?
Kansas

I work on a government project as a subcontractor, and was hired on a temp-to-perm basis for 6 months. Three months into this project I was offered a contingent permanent offer and given only 24 hours to decide. Their offer was a little less than what the subcontractor was paying, but had benefits so that was OK. I told them I needed the weekend to think about it because this offer was given on a Friday when my son had a serious medical appointment and this was weighing heavily on my mind.

They did not give me a paper copy of the contingent offer, by the way. But over the weekend I decided to take the offer. But when I came in Monday to tell them, but before I could tell them they told me that they were withdrawing the offer because they felt I wouldn't be happy. I asked them why they thought that, and they said it was because I needed "too much time" to make a decision, despite my son's medical concerns which I HAD told them about.

When I pressed for more details, they said I may not be happy there and could leave in a year, which seemed odd to me. I was told when I came there that the PM takes it personally when someone leaves, and now it was taken personally that I didn't accept the offer immediately...without a paper copy to even look at? Now my subcontracting company is extremely mad at the prime contractor because of this, because they rushed with the contingent offer in the first place without waiting 6 months, and then withdrew it without giving me adequate time to think about it. When I spoke to prime contractor today, they said they withdrew it based on their experience in previous situations where offers had been accepted and then the employee left within a year. Is it fair for them to use the decisions of previous employees against me?

Does this sound right? I've never been in this situation before so I was surprised, as I do want to work for this contractor since they have a flexible schedule.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You were given an offer with a 24 hour deadline. You took longer than 24 hours to decide. I'm not sure what your question really is... :(

Clean Sanchez

They agreed to extend the deadline based on my son's medical appointment, and then reneged on that agreement. In addition, they didn't give me a paper copy of the offer to begin with!

mlane58

What is the name of your state?
Kansas

I work on a government project as a subcontractor, and was hired on a temp-to-perm basis for 6 months. Three months into this project I was offered a contingent permanent offer and given only 24 hours to decide. Their offer was a little less than what the subcontractor was paying, but had benefits so that was OK. I told them I needed the weekend to think about it because this offer was given on a Friday when my son had a serious medical appointment and this was weighing heavily on my mind.

They did not give me a paper copy of the contingent offer, by the way. But over the weekend I decided to take the offer. But when I came in Monday to tell them, but before I could tell them they told me that they were withdrawing the offer because they felt I wouldn't be happy. I asked them why they thought that, and they said it was because I needed "too much time" to make a decision, despite my son's medical concerns which I HAD told them about.

When I pressed for more details, they said I may not be happy there and could leave in a year, which seemed odd to me. I was told when I came there that the PM takes it personally when someone leaves, and now it was taken personally that I didn't accept the offer immediately...without a paper copy to even look at? Now my subcontracting company is extremely mad at the prime contractor because of this, because they rushed with the contingent offer in the first place without waiting 6 months, and then withdrew it without giving me adequate time to think about it. When I spoke to prime contractor today, they said they withdrew it based on their experience in previous situations where offers had been accepted and then the employee left within a year. Is it fair for them to use the decisions of previous employees against me?

Does this sound right? I've never been in this situation before so I was surprised, as I do want to work for this contractor since they have a flexible schedule.
They can use any decision they want as long as that decision doesn't involve your race, gender, religion, age, etc....

Betty

When I spoke to prime contractor today, they said they withdrew it based on their experience in previous situations where offers had been accepted and then the employee left within a year. Is it fair for them to use the decisions of previous employees against me?
That is a legal reason for withdrawing the offer - maybe not fair but not illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">