• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer trying to deny unemployment benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jclawges

What is the name of your state?
Residing in the state of Virginia.

I resigned from a position as the employer was trying to force a demotion for non-valid reasons. I was presented with a letter explaining the details which were totally unacceptable to me. They were trying to cut my salary by $14,000.00 per year. The re-alignment that they spoke of made no since as the position they were demoting me from was not even the position that I was currently in.

I was upset and refused to sign the letter. I spoke to my husband and with his input, decided to resign effective immediately. I sent off a quick e-mail
to the corporate office resigning and told my immediate supervisor that I would not sign the letter. He was equally upset and threw the letter away. Unfortunately I did not save a
copy of the letter. My supervisor later told me that the corprate office removed the letter from his e-mail .

I spoke to corporate office trying to get a copy of the letter and they refuse to give me one. They claim, because I did not sign it that they could not give it to me. I told them that my signature on the letter was not relevant and that I wanted a copy. They have refused. They claim now that they are not even sure that I have seen the letter. I assured them that my supervisor had given it to me.
In other words, they are playing dumb!

I have a telephone interview with the Virginia Employment Commission next week and feel that this letter will be
key in the decision making. I know that I can probably retrieve a copy of this letter from a trash dumpster if absolutely necessary. However, I'm considering this only as a last resort.

My supervisor was going to write a statement to the effect that he did see the letter and what it said however, he now is concerned about his job and desperately needs his benefits as he is terminally ill.

I don't believe that they can fire him for helping me however, I as he already has alot on his plate now, I don't want to cause him any more undue stress.

I started working for this company in February of this year when my previous company had filed bankruptcy.
I have build their business and feel that they owe me this benefit. I have never walked away from a job before and I hope to be gainfully employeed as soon as possible.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.
Please note, I need feedback ASAP.
Thanks for your time and consideration.

Last edited:

M

mlp's mom

In the commonwealth of Virginia, employee's do not have the right to view and/or make a copy of their personnel file, so even if you had signed the letter they still would not have a legal obligation to provide a copy to you.

Also, you resigned the job. It would have been better for you to accept the job and then start pursuing new opportunities, but since you didn't that will not bode well in your favor.

My advice - start looking for a new job ASAP.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">