• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer wanting to hire internally

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

squideo

Name of state: Michigan

A purchaser at our company recently quit and the company wants to fill the job internally. They have said on a certian day if the job was not filled then they would just assign the job to someone. Can they really do that? And if they do can the person who gets assigned the job and does not want to do it, have "good cause" to quit and collect unemployment because they have to do a different job then what they where hired for.

Thanks for any insight into this question.

H

hexeliebe

With all the people out of work and you come to a legal forum to ask such an assinine question?

O.K. here are the facts.

1. An employer can hire anyone they want for an open position, a closed position or even your position as long as they select the candidate not based on any of the protected classes such as sex, age, race or religion, etc.

2. If you are assigned the job and quit, you do so without cause. PERIOD. You do not pass go and do not collect unemployment,

S

squideo

First thanks for the answer that is what I was looking for.

However I dont appreciate your comment about an assinine question, you have no idea where I work or what goes on, you have no right to judge the merit of my question. These are the type of people I work with, I was curious as to what the real law is. It is not me that will be doing that I dont care either way, it is other people who have been talking big and making threats, I wanted to know the truth so I came to ask a honest question, because I like to know the real answers not just what people think the answers are. I like my job, I appreciate that I still have one so screw you and the high f*cking horse you rode in on, ass.

Last edited:

Bigfoot

An employee with 'vision' will accept the new duties, willingly, gain new knowledge, perhaps get management to pay for additional training, and be on track to getting a raise/promotion in the future.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is absolutely nothing wrong with an employer hiring internally.

Barring a contract that says otherwise, an employee is required to do the job that the employer wants him/her to do, regardless of whether that is the job the employee wants to do or not, and regardless of whether that is the job the employee was hired to do or not.

H

hexeliebe

I like my job, I appreciate that I still have one so screw you and the high f*cking horse you rode in on, ass.
And you're lucky to even have a job? What's wrong, don't like the deep fryer? :rolleyes:

H

hexeliebe

Mommy and Daddy and the rockin' of the trailer on a dark and stormey night :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">