• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employer wants me to sign resignation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

ok234

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

about a month ago I informed my employer that I would be leaving at the end of April and that I would give him two weeks notice when i was ready to leave. He said it was fine and that if I changed my mind I could stay, I then told him it would be later than the end of April (like two more weeks). He said that was fine, too.
A couple days later he asked me to sign a resignation that seems unreasonable to me. Stating that I will work any amount of hours required to finish the project I am working on, that i will train whoever neccessary and complete any project that is assigned to me between now and when I leave.
I told my employer that I needed a few days to get the opinion of a lawyer (which I am waiting on). However my employer says that by not signing the contract I am refusing to admit that I am resigning and not dealing with my resignation.

Can I write my own resignation? Do I have to resign when I said I would since I did not give an official date that I would be leaving? Can he fire me for not signing his paper?

K

krispenstpeter

Can I write my own resignation?
Yes, but your employer is not bound to accept it.

Do I have to resign when I said I would since I did not give an official date that I would be leaving?
That's up to you and your boss.

Can he fire me for not signing his paper?
Of course he can.

O

ok234

I cannot sign the resignation that he has given me. Is it reasonable to ask that he rewrite the resignation? I have been working on a project which has been finished for a while. He says that is not finished. The reason that it isn't finished is because he has changed his mind about what he wants. He wants me to say I will finish whatever project he assigns me and train someone else to take over. The problem is that he changes his mind every day about what he wants. I want to leave on good terms, but he is getting mad because I haven't signed the papers. any ideas on what can I do?

K

krispenstpeter

I got all that the first time around. That's the wonderful thing about a college education in the (former) Big 8. They teach you how to read.

As to what you can do, you can sign the damn thing, stay as long as he'll let you or leave tomorrow. That's not a question of law. It's a question of what YOU want to do.

R

Ramoth

If you don't want to sign the paper, and you don't have an employment contract specifying otherwise, simply hand him a written 2-week notice when you're ready to leave the company. He may let you work out the notice, he may let you go immediately, he may fire your @ss tomorrow. But you know what? Those are the same options he has if you sign "his" resignation letter, so you're not losing out on anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">