• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employer wants vacation pay back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LeAnn74

My employer forwards all vacation and medical pay to each employee on Jan. 1st of each year. This year I had to have knee surgery in Jan. using up most of my vacation and medical leave. In April I found out I was pregnant and was going to be needing more time off this year. My employer says that if I don't finish out the year I will owe back the vacation time I took in Jan. The handbook doesn't have a termination policy in it at all and it doesn't say that the employee has to reimburse the employer. It actually says very little in the policy at all except that it is forwarded on Jan. 1st of each year. Can my employer payroll deduct from my last check or bill me for benefits already paid?

L

loku

The employer can bill you for benefits already paid if that has been its policy in the past. However, if in its past the company has not done this, then it can not do so in your case. It is really a matter of interpreting from all the circumstances what the implied agreement is about the vacation pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">